When choosing fencing for your property, you have options, with wood and vinyl fencing being the most popular.
Which will work best for you?
When it comes to any kind of home remodeling, going in for something that is functional and aesthetically appealing is always a priority. While you may spend a considerable amount for the things inside your home, the outdoor part of your house also needs some love. A fence is one of the most important parts of the outside of your home and is something that you should be paying attention to. A fence doesn’t only helps you protect your home, but also improves the curb appeal of your home
Two of the main choices that you have for a fence in your home is wood and chain. Most people tend to select one of these two options because of the durability and look that they offer. However, knowing which one is better for your home is essential if you want to get the very best. In this article, we will cover all that you need to know about wooden fencing and chain link fencing, helping you choose the right one for your home.
Wood is the more opted for choice when picking a fence and has always been one of the preferred ones for those who were looking to protect their home. America alone has some of the largest numbers of wooden fences in the entire world, which goes to show just how popular this option is. One of the biggest reasons why people tend to go in for wood fences is because of the look that it can be given. When choosing a fence, you want something that is in keeping with the theme and color of your home. Wood enables you to customize and choose the fence as you please and can improve the curb appeal of your home by a significant amount. Maintaining wood is also incredibly easy, and not to mention that fences made of this material can last for a long period.
A chain link fence is the second most opted for option that people all over the country go in for and is great for those who want something that is functional and efficient at the same time. Chain fences can be colored to match the look of the home, but don’t offer much in the way of customizability. Because of this, people mostly opt to go in for these for the back of their homes, since they don’t always look the most appealing for the front of your home. However, the level of security that these fences offer is incredible. A Chain link fence is rather hard to break and can be built rather high to prevent intruders from entering your home.
Pros And Cons
Before settling on one material to use for your home, understanding the pros and cons of each kind of fence is important. Below are some of the positives and negatives that you get when you opt for either wooden fencing or chain link fencing.
Pros of Wooden Fences
The following are some of the benefits of choosing a wood fence
- One of the biggest reasons why people tend to choose wooden fences is because of how cost effective this option is. Wood is not an expensive material, which is why opting for this means you won’t have to spend an exorbitant amount on your fence.
- Because you can design your fence however you want, getting full privacy in this kind of fence is easy. Moreover, wooden fences don’t have gaps in between them, which means that no one can look inside your yard and home.
Light In Weight
- Wood is an incredibly lightweight material which means that your fence won’t have much weight to it. If you ever have to remove your fence, this weight can ensure that you don’t have a difficult time during this process.
- Wood is one of the best options to go in for if you are on the lookout for a fence that you can customize in whatever way you want. No matter what pattern or what color you want to go in for, wood is incredibly easy to work with.
- If you ever want to get rid of your fence to get a new one, wood is one material that you never have to worry about. Because it is biodegradable, it decomposes quickly, which means that you aren’t contributing to the crisis being faced in landfills across the country.
Cons of Wooden Fences
The following are some of the reasons why wooden fences may not always be the best option:
Limited Life Span
- Because of the nature of wood, it can only last for ten to fifteen years before it needs to be changed and swapped out. However, changing these kinds of fences is incredibly easy, and doesn’t require much effort.
Vulnerable To Fungus
- If you live in an area that sees regular rain or which has a high moisture content, going in for a wooden fence might not be the best option because it makes the fence vulnerable to fungus and rot.
- Wood tends to wear out with time, which is why maintaining it regularly is essential if you want to prolong the lifespan of your fence. However, maintaining this is incredibly easy, and dosen’t require much effort.
Pros of Chain Fences
The following are some of the benefits of choosing a chain fence
- One of the biggest reasons why people go in for chain fencing is because of the lowered cost that they have to incur. Chain fences also minimize the amount that you would spend on maintenance.
- If you want the maximum security from your fence, going in for a chain fence is the better option. Chain fences can be made to be incredibly high, which further contributes to the security that these fences offer.
- Chain fences are made of metals like steel and therefore don’t require much maintenance. Even if there is any, this tends to be minimal as compared to wooden fences.
Fastest To Install
- If you want to install your fence easily and quickly, a chain fence is your option. Because it doesn’t need to be customized, this is the most speedy way to get a fence up for your home.
Cons of Chain Fences
The following are some of the reasons why chain fences may not always be the best option:
Lesser Curb Appeal
- Making your home look good from the outside is essential, especially if you are looking to sell your home. Chain fencing doesn’t add anything in the way of value to your home and can actually lessen the curb appeal that your home has.
- Because of the nature of chain fences, it isn’t always the best option for those who are looking for things with more privacy. If you are looking to get something that covers a part of your home, a wooden fence might not be the best option.
- Metal fences aren’t the best if you are thinking of going in for a more personalized fence. There are far fewer customizability options for metal fences, which is also why people tend to opt for wooden fences over chain fences.
Overall, neither is a bad choice when it comes to your fencing needs. With the help of our fencing experts and our on site estimates, Fence Kings can get you set up with a brand new fence in no time! Give us a call at 615-788-4461 or fill out a request form HERE.